Health and Fitness
Play-Well: Every Tuesday and Thursday at 10 a.m. PST join online lego play on Facebook. Lego Mike will demo a project and you can build along.
Fitness Blender for Kids: Participate in a 25-minute workout to burn off energy, increase bone density, balance, endurance and even strength.
Workout with Paul: Ten excercises to get youth motivated in a life of exercise.
Little Sports: These great animated cartoons take you through short home-exercises that you’ll love.
Active Kids Do Better offers free resources for parents including work out routines and anything that will help children be active for 30 minutes a day.
- This 8-minute workout is for teens who want to work up a sweat and get in shape. It’s a great way to get inspired.
- Balance Exercises for Teens with Fitness Coach Mark Verstegen shows the world’s greatest stretch known to man.
- This teens fitness workout by the Kid’s Coach is and interval session guaranteed to get you fit as!
- Ready for a workout series? The body coach will get you started on a lifetime of fitness.
For Children and Teens
Marina Recreation & Cultural Services along with Marina PAL is offering the Half Marathon (13.1 miles) Youth Fitness Challenge while we “Learn from Home” in August and September. To learn how to participate and win awards, please see Half Marathon Fitness Challenge.
- Headspace, a mindfulness app, is offering a free trial of Weathering the Storm. It includes meditations, sleep, and movement exercises to help you out, however you’re feeling. It’s our small way of helping you find some space and kindness for yourself and those around you.
- Downward Dog App is making all of its apps (for smartphones) — Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout - completely free.
- Do Yoga With Me - Free yoga videos provides a way to get in tune with your body and relieve stress.
- Nike Training Club offers an App filled with free fitness videos.
- Youtube has thousands of fitness-at-home videos. Here’s a link to a search where you can find the right videographer who works for you.
- While we’re at it, Youtube also offers thousands of free guided meditations to help you de-stress.
- So, you prefer old-school exercise? Here are pdfs of 100 no-equipment workouts ( Volume 1) ( Volume 2) ( Volume 3).
- Les Mills Mindfulness body scan workout helps us develop both our capacity to pay attention and our relationship to the physical body.
Forward Together Weekly Sessions
Monterey County Behavioral Health will offer weekly sessions every Tuesday at 4pm from February 9 through March 16.
Being a youth or young adult can be difficult as you are dealing with a lot of changes and stress. This past year has brought additional challenges to our lives. We want you to know you are not alone and there is help. This series will cover topics to help youth with their health and wellbeing. The sessions will be led by youth advocates from The Epicenter in partnership with staff from Monterey County Behavioral Health. Join us to learn some tips and have a safe space to connect with us and other youth.
- 02/09 Healthy Relationships
- 02/16 Navigating COVID-19
- 02/23 Being Non-Binary
- 03/02 Resources For LGBTQ+ Youth
- 03/09 Self-Care for Youth
- 03/16 Youth Mental Health Tips & Resources
Click this link to join on Zoom: https://montereycty.zoom.us/j/98295991832
From your mobile device or landline call: 1-669-900-6833 or 1-346-248-7799 and enter: 982-9599-1832#
Teen Connect: Social Inequity and Racism in our Communities
Monterey County Behavioral Health will offer weekly sessions every Tuesday at 2pm from February 9 to March 16 discussing social injustice and racism. Our communities feel outraged and hurt and maybe even hopeless. Come to the Teen Connect Online Gathering to share your feelings and ideas in a safe space We Are Stronger Together.
- 02/16 Social Inequity and Racism in our Communities
- 02/16 How to Cope/Resiliency
- 02/23 Sharing Experience
- 03/02 Sharing ideas for Taking Action
- 03/09 Taking Action
- 03/16 Staying Involved, Keeping Momentum & Inspiring Others
Here's the link:
To access from your mobile device or landline call: 1-669-900-6833 or 1-346-248-7799 and enter: 951-8818-5599#
For information, visit the Monterey County Behavioral Health website
Virtual Bike Rider - Photo by Sebastian Voortman from Pexels
Previous Weeks' Listings
Week of June-1-7
Monday: Taking Time to Breathe – Thrively for free
Tuesday: 12 minute workout for men
Wednesday: 50 Women’s Health Workouts
Thursday: LGBTQ+ Sharing Circle Online ages 16-24 (email: email@example.com) Every Thursday from 7 to 8.
Friday: Core Power Yoga Workouts Saturday: Family Cardio
Sunday: PE in Your Living Room
Week of June-15-21
Monday: Sweat with SELF playlist
Tuesday: The Home of Home Workouts by The Body Coach
Wednesday: 3 Common Home Workout Mistakes
Thursday: Staying Active with SuperTots
Friday: Rain Sounds for Sleep & Study (Smart Device App)
Saturday: Balance and Peace Meditation
Sunday: Fit FatherProject
Week of June 29-July 5
Monday: The Best Swimming Workouts for Every Fitness Level
Tuesday: Liven Up Family Walks
Wednesday: 8 Health And Fitness Goals To Make This Summer
Friday: CSUMB Feminist Fitness Fridays on Zoom
Saturday: 4th of July Fruit Platter
Sunday: 25 Summer Fitness Tips Straight From the Experts
Week of July 13-19
Monday (7-13): Swimming Workouts for Every Fitness Level
Tuesday (7-14): Kids Breathing Exercises at the Y
Wednesday (7-15): 5 Simple Mindfulness Practices
Thursday (7-16): The 31-Day Squat, Lunge and Pushup Plan
Friday (7-17): Top 9 Apple Health Tips and Tricks to Use It Like a Pro
Saturday (7-18): Fooducate: Connection between cortisol and nutrition
Sunday (7-19): 5 Tips For Easing Back Into Gym Workouts
Week of July 27-Aug. 2
Monday (7-27): Central Coast Home with the Y
Tuesday (7-28): Guided Meditation for Teenagers
Wednesday (7-29): Teen Dental Health
Thursday (7-30): Should Tweens Use Health Apps?
Friday (7-31): 5 Nutrition Mistakes To Avoid During Summers
Saturday (8-1): 10 Foods for Great Summer Nutrition
Sunday (8-2): Stay Cool this Summer
Week of Aug. 10-16
Monday (8-10): Social Emotional Well-Being 19 day virtual event, 3-4 pm (Registration Required)
Tuesday (8-11): Kids' Health Parents Homepage
Wednesday (8-12): Flu Prevention
Thursday (8-13): PTA Healthy Lifestyles
Friday (8-14) : Laura Bush Healthy Start Program
Saturday (8-15): Michelle Obama Let's Move Videos
Sunday (8-16): Building Healthy Minds and Bodies
Week of Aug. 24-30
Monday (8/24): How to Combat Zoom Fatigue
Tuesday (8/25): Social-Emotional Activities for Distance Learning
Wednesday (8/26): Locate a Local Pediatrician
Thursday (8/27): Age Specific Checkups
Friday (8/28): Emotional Eating talk by Dr. Mary Gavin
Saturday (8/29): PE at Home
Sunday (8/30): 50 Educational Brain Breaks
Week of May 11-17
Monday: Free Monday Live (Advanced Registration Needed)
Tuesday: Audio Fitness App Apocalypse Survival Training
Wednesday: Daily 305 Dance Fitness (9 am.)
Thursday: Fight Camp
Friday: Don Saladino 30-minute workout
Saturday: Fitness Blender Youtube Channel
Sunday: Meditation4Medicine (fundraising for PPE)
Week of July 6-12
Monday (7-6): Tai Chi Qigong, relieve stress in small spaces, Mondays at 10:00 am
Tuesday (7-7): Line Dancing Tuesdays with Carrie, 1pm on Zoom
Wednesday (7-8): How to do the right exercise for your age
Thursday (7-9): 1/2 hour for Marina Half Marathon Youth Fitness Challenge
Friday (7-10): Cheer Class with Tanya Benton
Saturday (7-11): Spice Up Your Squats
Sunday (7-12): Pre-Ballet Class
Week of July 20-26
Monday (7-20): 16 Strength-Training Exercises for Kids
Tuesday (7-21): Deck of Cards Workout
Wednesday (7-22): Spell Your Name Fitness Activity
Thursday (7-23): Creating a Quarantine Routine
Friday (7-24): Grow a Ready Mind – For Kids
Saturday (7-25): Coloriing Relaxation
Sunday (7-26): Hip Hop Tabata
Week of Aug. 3-9
Monday (8-3): How to Sit at a Computerand Soccer Mom Rocks Distance Learning
Tuesday (8-4): Fitness and your 6-12 year old
Wednesday (8-5): MPUSD's Grab and Go MealsBegins, 12 noon to 2 p.m Monday Through Friday starting Aug. 5
Thursday (8-6): Distance Learning Week 1 - Fitness Testing
Friday (8-7): How to create a virtual gymnasium
Saturday (8-8) Move to Learn Fitness Break
Sunday (8-9): 10 Exercise Hacks Gamers Can Do While Gaming
Week of Aug. 17-23
Monday (8-17): Big Surreal Virtual Challenge
Tuesday (8-18): La Tavola Marche Cooking School
Wednesday (8-19): Italian Grandma Makes Pizza
Thursday (8-20): Best Potato Latkes Ever
Friday (8-21): Back to School Recipes Kids Love
Saturday (8-22): Brain Breaks During Online Learning
Sunday (8-23): Integrating Physical Activity During Distance Learning
Week of Aug. 31-Sept. 6
Monday (8/31): Benefits of Yoga
Tuesday (9/1): Emotional Well-Being at Wide Open School
Wednesday (9/2): Crossfit at home (adults)
Thursday (9/2): Need Help? Find out what you can get from 2-1-1 Monterey County
Friday (9/3): Rev up Your Thinking Skills by Trying Something New
Saturday (9/4): Phys Ed Workout with Matthew Hagly
Sunday (9/5): 'Body & Mind’ Game | Distance Learning PE