How do I check the status of my case?
You should first try and contact the reporting officer that took your report. If you don’t know the name of the officer that took your report, you can contact the Records Bureau at (831) 884-1210. Normally, non-custody reports reports take from 7-10 days for completion and supervisory approval before they are received by the Records Bureau and can be released. If your case has been assigned to an investigator, you may contact the Investigations Bureau.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report city maintenance items, such as pot holes, street light(s) out, graffiti abatement, etc.?
2. How do I get to the Marina Police Department?
3. How do I get a copy of a police report?
4. Can I pay for a ticket that I received in Marina at the Marina Police Station?
5. How do I pay for my parking Citations?
6. How do I get my fix-it ticket signed off?
7. Do you offer fingerprinting/Livescan?
8. How do I check the status of my case?